Making a sea change

September 09, 2024

Triggered by an intense experience while swimming alongside a whale shark in Australia, Kathy XU decided to commit her life to changing people’s perceptions about sharks being scary creatures.

The history-trained school teacher, who went on to read an MSc in Science Communications, was inspired to start The Dorsal Effect, a social enterprise which provides an alternative livelihood for shark fishermen in Lombok, Indonesia, through ecotourism.  

Catch our interview with Kathy!

Why set up The Dorsal Effect?

I believe that humans should be more responsible on this planet and have respect for animals and nature. I started a social enterprise because I wanted to build a model for sustainable tourism that benefits the oceans and the local community at the same time. The fishermen gain a more reliable income rather than the precarious, and often dangerous, job of shark fishing.

What are The Dorsal Effect’s offerings?

The Dorsal Effect teaches students about the marine environment through snorkelling trips, coral health checks and beach trash cleanups. The excursions to off-the-grid locations are curated and offered by the fishermen who have expert knowledge of the little-visited corners of Lombok, pristine and beautiful spots that cannot be found on a map.

How does your interdisciplinary learning come in useful?

I was a humanities student in my undergraduate years, but I decided to level up on my science knowledge to counter simplistic messaging and greenwashing in the conservation space. My master’s course equipped me with the scientific communication skills to create science-based messaging while still appreciating the human ability for complex thought.

Please share some standout moments from your work. 

There have been many! I love facilitating discussions around marine conservation with students. Each time the students ask complex or difficult questions, I see that as a win in developing critical analyses for issues that are so dear to our hearts, and yet so wicked and complex.

I also love hearing from students on how they choose to swear off seafood or choose to go vegetarian / vegan after trips with us, as they see the ills of overfishing and the challenges of seafood sustainability. I hope to get more students to think deeply about the seafood industry and to develop compassion towards marine creatures and ultimately all animals, through their everyday dietary choices.

I was also inspired by the transformative changes in the fishermen. They started to take ownership of the experience, making sure tourists feel at home.

Find out more on Kathy’s ventures at https://www.thedorsaleffect.com/