The Faculty of Science (FoS) at National University of Singapore (NUS) collaborates with the University of Toronto (UofT), University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Hokkaido University etc. in offering Summer Programmes for FoS students. These short term (4 to 7-weeks) exchange programmes hosted by the respective universities offer multidisciplinary programmes involving participation from various departments spanning across Faculties/Schools at the universities.
In addition to coursework-based programmes, FoS partners leading research intensive universities such as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and King's College London to offer 10 to 12-week summer research opportunities. For a longer duration of research study, the NUS-Harvey Mudd College Global Clinic Programme provide students group interactions in theme-based projects.
Other than faculty-level exchange there are also University-Wide summer programmes available. For more information on the various summer programmes offered you can refer to the International Relations Office website.
Science students will have the wonderful opportunity to broaden their horizons without disrupting academic schedules. In the host country, you will discover the true meaning of "learning outside the classroom" - observe and experience many of the things you study, including the country's history, culture, art, and religion.
In the words of one of the programme's previous participants says, "... Travelling to the other side of the world has let me learn that there is actually so much more, like how diverse the people can be, how huge a country can be, with the beautiful sceneries other than buildings and urban landscapes..."
List of Programmes
Elsinore Summer School
Research Attachment Programmes
King's College London, United Kingdom
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States
General Application Process
- Look out for e-mail announcements from the Dean's Office in January calling for applications for each academic year.
- For programmes which require online application, please apply online via the Science Intranet. Otherwise, please follow the application steps listed on the email announcement.
- For programmes which require interview of shortlisted candidates, please attend the interview (details of your interview slot will be sent to you by the Dean's Office)
- Students will be informed of the faculty selection results via NUS email
- Students who are being selected for the programme will be given further instructions on how they may proceed to confirm their acceptance of offer and submit all required documentations for official application to the host university
- Students will also be provided with further instructions on submission of module mapping and the mapping approval process
- Apply for financial aid. NASA Enhancement Scholarships/Bursaries are available
- Check your emails regularly for updates on your application status by the host university. Further information about accommodation, course enrolment, visa application etc. will be followed up later by the host university
- Request for credit transfer upon returning to NUS after completion of the summer programme by having the module mapping approvals and submitting the official transcript obtained from the host university
Note: For request for credit transfer (through the Dean's Office) module mappings have to be approved by the respective faculty/department in NUS and the official transcript obtained from the host university has to indicate passing letter grades/marks for the modules taken at the host university according to the host university’s grading system.
Fees and Module Credits
Students can map a total of 12 MCs from a maximum of 2 overseas summer/winter programmes without having to pay tuition at NUS. Any additional MCs mapped will be subjected to NUS Special Term fees. Students who have exceeded the 12 MCs and still wish to transfer credits may do so by paying Special Term fees.