Undergraduate Professional Internship Programme (UPIP)
UPIP is an initiative by the Science Dean's Office to give science undergraduates practical on-the-job training through structured internship during their undergraduate study. Internship helps students craft a fulfilling university journey through meaningful work experience. The Faculty coordinates partnerships with external organisations and provides the necessary foundation and support to science students to faciliate their internships.
UPIP was introduced in Academic Year (AY)2011/2012 as an elective programme allowing students to learn about career preparation and job seeking processes, hone their interpersonal, communication and other soft skills, while exposing them to the day-to-day working enviroment.
The programme is built upon a mutually enriching model between NUS, students and the employing partners.
Students participating in the UPIP module will undergo experiential learning to improve their repertoire of interpersonal communication skills, overall effectiveness and improve their self confidence. Through this structured programme, students will be faced with the challenges of competing for, and securing a job position in an organisation, and applying their discipline-related knowledge and professionalism in a working environment.
Through the programme students w ill get to:
- Plan their academic and career development strategies. Students can test out their interests and develop their long-term career plans. This provides a basis to select elective course work which integrates their studies and career goals.
- Understand available career options. Students have the opportunity to network with business leaders and alumni established in the working world.
- Learn relevant skills for job-seeking, such as resume writing, interviews and networking.
- Gain knowledge on business etiquette.
- Translate scientific principles learnt in the curriculum to perform technical assignments in a real-world professional environment.
- Acquire intangible skills in teamwork, safety consciousness and the use of technology in the workplace.
- Boost employability after graduation by giving students valuable contact with potential future employers.
Upon successful completion of the internship, students will also be awarded with Unrestricted Modular Credit (MC) that would count towards their graduation requirement.
Students should nominate their Academic Advisor (AA) through UPIP Online and gain access to a list of approved internships by department. Students who have successfully secured a position will undertake the internship module in the subsequent semester. Students can also seek their own internship positions. However, the particular internship will require the prior approval of the department UPIP Coordinator and the same registration process through UPIP Online is required. The internship should have relevance to the major, and involve the application of relevant subject knowledge of the discipline.
Employing organisations can expect to meet enthusiastic interns who are able to work on a variety of projects. Employers benefit in the following ways :
- Increase productivity. Interns provide additional manpower resources to accomplish company goals. Interns can act as support to the existing staff.
- New ideas and perspectives. Interns bring with them domain knowledge and skills learnt through their undergraduate studies. They have new ideas, insights, and processes that will benefit the workforce and employers.
- Find future employees. Internships are a great way to attract possible future employees. Internships offer a trial period in which the employer is able to assess the skills of an intern. Interns can become successful employees contributing to the company.
- Improve leadership and supervisory skills. Through the mentoring of interns, staff develop skills as leaders and supervisors.
- Give back to the community. By hiring interns, companies are helping to promote and benefit the educational system.
The selection of interns is at the discretion of employers, who may choose to call up referees and/or conduct an interview with shortlisted applicants.
UPIP Department Coordinators
UPIP Department Coodinators are the liaison between departments and the UPIP Administrator in the Science Dean's Office. They assess the suitability of internships for students in majors hosted by their respective departments.
A/Prof Leung Man Chun
Data Science & Analytics
UPIP & Enhanced UPIP Timelines
UPIP can be read by Science students in their years 2 and 3 (excluding gradution semester)
||AY2017/2018 Semester 2
|Official semester dates||15 Jan to 12 May 2018|
|Minimum duration||18 weeks|
|Employer register internship||01 Aug to 06 Nov 2017|
|Student position securing deadline||30 Nov 2017|
|Earliest start date||01 Dec 2017|
|Latest start dare||22 Jan 2017|
|Latest end date||31 May 2018|
|Student to submit final report by||End of internship|
|Module registration||To be pre-allocaed XX3312 in AY2017/2018 Sem 2|
|Grade issued||AY2017/2018 Sem 2|
|Internship semester||AY2017/2018 Special Term
|Official semester dates||14 May to 03 Aug 2018
|Minimum duration||10 weeks|
|Employer register internship||Jan to 19 Mar 2018
|Student position securing deadline||
28 Mar 2018
|Student self-source confirmation deadline||
28 Mar 2018
|Earliest start date||01 May 2018
|Latest start date||14 May 2018
|Latest end date||31 Jul 2018|
|Final report||End of internship|
|Module registration||To be pre-allocaed XX3310 or XX3311 in AY2017/2018 Special Term
|Grade issued||AY2017/2018 Special Term
|Internship semester||AY2018/2019 Semester 1
|Official semester dates||06 Aug to 07 Dec 2018|
|Minimum duration||18 weeks|
|Employer register internship||01 Jan to 31 May 2018|
|Student position securing deadline||02 Jul 2018
|Student self-source confirmation deadline||02 Jul 2018|
|Earliest start date||30 July 2018|
|Latest start date||06 Aug 2018|
|Latest end date||31 Dec 2018
|Student to submit Final report by||End of internship|
|Module registration||To be pre-allocaed XX3312 in AY2018/2019 Sem 1
|Grade issued||AY2018/2019 Sem 1|