Overseas Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme in Science (UROPS) at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM)
Selected students will be admitted to the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM Faculty) of Science, which has a wide-range of research activities led by highly committed faculty members. UAM Faculty of Science comprises 16 Departments with research focuses in the areas of Biology, Ecology, Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry, among others. The Faculty aims to provide research centre of excellence and is now a reference centre at both national and international level. The Faculty is also one of the few Spanish Universities in the top 100 research university in Europe.
The programme takes place in Madrid, Spain.
The programme takes place from 14 May 2018 to 4 Aug 2018.
Students will be assessed according to the assessment criteria of their home department at NUS, and obtain credits and grades for a Level 2000/3000 UROPS.
Students can map a total of 12 MCs from a maximum of 2 overseas summer/winter programmes without having to pay tuition at NUS. Any additional MCs mapped will be subjected to NUS Special Term fees.
NUS students must:
- Be a full-time Faculty of Science student.
- Have a clean disciplinary record.
- All Year 2 and Year 3 students may apply
- Not intending to graduate at the end of Semester 2.
- Not be National Servicemen who are called up for In-Camp Training (ICT). Deferment letter will not be provided.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview at the Science Dean’s Office in the week of 5 February 2018.
An internal offer does not guarantee your placement in the programme. Your admission outcome is up to the discretion of the partner institution.
Number of Places
There are four places available.
Students are responsible for their own airfare, accommodation, meals, personal expenses, etc.
Estimated cost (Please note that the figures provided are only estimates)
Food and Transport
Click here to find out more about the various financial assistance schemes offered by NUS.
Programme Application Procedure and Deadline
- Unofficial transcript.
- Curriculum Vitae. Highlight any prior research experience that you may have to support your application.
- Personal statement, including your area of research interest/project, why you are interested in the mentioned area/project, etc.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member in field/s related to your major. Please ask your recommender to send the recommendation letter directly to the Science Dean’s Office (Attn: Ms Niah Weixin). Both hardcopy and softcopy will be accepted.
All students travelling overseas for activities or purposes approved, endorsed, organised, sponsored or authorised by NUS will be covered by the NUS Student Travel Insurance Policy. Click here (under Insurance Cover for Official NUS Trips) for more information.
Exclusions to the NUS Student Travel Insurance may apply. Students are to ensure that they have sufficient travel insurance coverage, and may consider purchasing additional travel insurance if required.