Advanced Placement Credits (APCs)
You may be granted APCs based on your performance in Advanced Placement (AP) tests set by the Departments. The placement test should be taken and passed at the point of admission to the University. Please click here for the details.
How are APCs awarded - For GCE A-Level (or equivalent qualifications) Students
You may be granted 20 modular credits (MCs) of APCs from Programme Requirements based on your performance in the AP tests set by the Departments.
How are APCs awarded - For Singapore Polytechnic Diploma Students admitted from AY2015/16
- **20 MCs from Unrestricted Elective modules; and
- Up to 20 MCs from Programme Requirements based on performance in AP tests set by the Departments.
** The granting of 20 MCs of APCs are automatic and not subject to performance in placement tests. The balance 20 MCs of APCs will depend solely on your performance in the AP tests, and not by your intended major.
APCs for International Mathematical Olympiad Winners
Freshmen of NUS Science who were medal winners at IMO within the last 5 years prior to the date of admission may be awarded APCs for MA1100 (Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics). Please click here for the application form if you wish to be considered.
Advanced Placement Test
The AP test assesses the knowledge and ability of students and grants credits to those who do well so that they could be exempted from lower level modules and have the prerequisites to read higher level modules directly. This way, students may graduate in a shorter time.
Eligibility for Advanced Placement Test
- Freshmen admitted into the Faculty of Science;
- Obtained excellent overall GCE A-Level (or equivalent) or polytechnic results; and
- Did very well in the relevant subjects at GCE A-Level (or equivalent), or relevant modules at Polytechnic Diploma level.
Please click here for the selection criteria.
- Only shortlisted freshmen who applied for AP test(s) will be allowed to sit for the test(s).
- Students are not allowed to apply for AP test(s) or APCs after formal completion of the Registration Procedures.
- An exemption once granted is irreversible.
- Freshmen admitted into the Faculty of Engineering or School of Computing for the Double Degree Programme in Computer Science and Mathematics/Applied Mathematics may only apply for AP test(s) of the Science modules which will fulfill their programme requirements.
Modules & Test Dates for AY2019/2020
|Module Code||Module Title||Date||Time||Venue|
|CM1121||Organic Chemistry I||Fri, 28-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|CM1131||Physical Chemistry I||Mon, 24-Jun-19||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|LSM1102||Molecular Genetics||Fri, 21-Jun-19||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|LSM1401#||Fundamentals of Biochemistry||Fri, 21-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|MA1101R||Linear Algebra I||Thu, 27-Jun-19||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|MA1102R||Calculus||Thu, 27-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-11|
|MA1505||Mathematics I||Thu, 27-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|PC1141||Introduction to Classical Mechanics||Tue, 25-Jun-19||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-11|
|PC1142||Introduction to Thermodynamics and Optics||Tue, 25-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|PC1143||Introduction to Electricity & Magnetism||Wed, 26-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|PC1144||Introduction to Modern Physics||Wed, 26-Jun-19||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|PC1431||Physics IE||Tue, 25-Jun-19||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
|ST1131^||Introduction to Statistics||Mon, 24-Jun-19||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Block S17 level 5, Seminar Room S17-05-12|
# LSM1401 is not for students intending to read the Life Sciences major/minor.
^ ST1131 is not for students intending to read the Life Sciences major as it precludes the module ST1232, which is a core module in the Life Sciences major.
Application for Advanced Placement Test
- Application period is from 2 May 2019 to 31 May 2019.
- If you are joining NUS in the coming August, please click here for the online application form.
If you are presently a NUS High School student, please instead click here for the online application form.
- An administrative fee of S$50 (before prevailing GST) is applicable for each AP test module you are shortlisted for. You will be notified of your application outcome and the final payment amount via email. Please make the cheque payable to "NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE", with your Name and NUS Application No. clearly written on the back of the cheque, and submit to the following address latest by 18 June 2019:
Outreach and Admissions Section
Dean's Office, Faculty of Science
National University of Singapore
Blk S16, Level 5
6 Science Drive 2
Attn: Mr Kurt Leng
- We regret that late or incomplete application will not be considered.
- CM1121, CM1131
- LSM1102, LSM1401
- MA1101R, MA1102R
- PC1141, PC1142, PC1143, PC1144, PC1431
Sample Test Papers
Notes on Calculators:
- Programmable calculators refer to those that are able to store formulas or programs.
- Calculators with remote communication function refer to those that are equipped with wireless communication capability.